Blogger Background

Monday 17 October 2011

Review

Abandon by Meg Cabot   2.5 Stars


 Abandon by Meg Cabot is my first experience with Cabot's writing. This story in particular was a little confusing for me and after a while got me frustrated. It was the style in which it was written, as though it was going backwards giving you brief flashes of what happened, and then zooming forward with lots of holes left in between. Which for me just got annoying, because nothing was really full explained and I felt like it was dragged out a little too much.

Pierce, what a troubled girl, she has drowned and ends up in the Underworld with John aka the Lord of the underworld, but the odd thing is... that she's met John before, when she was little and her grandfather had died. This is obviously what our story is revolving around, Pierce and John. As the Greek legend of Hades and Persephone goes, Persephone is kidnapped by Hades and taken to the underworld to be his bride.

This is loosely based around parts of that myth. I liked the character of John, he was melodramatic and intense, Pierce was a little wishy washy and sometimes I really wanted to smack her upside the head with my book out of sheer frustration at her stupidity. But thats my personal opinion. The story did get a little predictable which also added to my irritation. And then just as it seemed to be getting somewhere and I was starting to enjoy it again, it completely changed tactics.. It went from Pierce overwhelmed with just kissing John for the first time, to her looking at his bed and thinking about how much she wanted to 'thank' him.. and I was left thinking... 'woah, hold your horses!!' you only kissed the boy yesterday and now you are thinking about his bed and ergo sex.. luckily it ended there and I was not forced to stomach anymore chopping and changing..
I can see that there will easily be a sequel.. umm, yeah, let me know how that goes..

I hope Meg Cabots other stories are better, cause I own some of her books..

No comments:

Post a Comment